I would be in disagreement with Charles. Lyx has a massive range of users
from latex experts to novices. Power users will be incredibly upset if Lyx
does something that changes a working configuration without notifying them
first. It is even more important to get it right before release since it
affects the install. From my experience, I would probably not upgrade Lyx
if it changed MikTex if say, I had a publication that had to get out or a
dissertation that was almost finished. I remember frantically trying to
debug a beamer presentation because Lyx changed something with Beamer... a
day or two before I had to get it printed.

I, for one, greatly appreciate holding up something as massively disruptive
as a latex engine upgrade until it can be properly communicated to the
greater audience. Still, expect to see a bunch of questions regarding this.

Thanks,
~Ben