On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 9:52 AM, David Pesetsky <pese...@mit.edu> wrote:

> -
>
> On Jul 8, 2018, at 11:48 AM, Joel Kulesza <jkule...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 9:29 AM, David Pesetsky <pese...@mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> When I add text as a subscript or superscript using
>> Insert>Formatting>{Sub,Super}script,  Lyx 2.3.0 adds a large onscreen
>> horizontal gap before the text.  This appears to be WYSIWYG problem only,
>> as the Latex output does not have this problem (and there is no gap, as far
>> as the onscreen cursor is concerned).  I don't see anything about this in
>> the bug tracker, so is it something I should file as a bug?  Or something I
>> did, without knowing it ...?
>>
>> -David
>>

> I don't see similar behavior with LyX 2.3.0 on OS X 10.13.5 (see attached
> for what I see).
>
> It looks like your LyX background color is different from the default
> (white rather than the default beige).  Perhaps another customization is
> driving this behavior?
>

> Right, that's what I was wondering, but I can't think of what.  I changed
> some colors a while ago, and picked an onscreen font — but I've tried
> tinkering with different onscreen fonts, with no difference in the
> superscript/subscript problem.

What I would do to diagnose this:

Rename ~/Library/Application Support/LyX-2.3 to  ~/Library/Application
Support/LyX-2.3.bak

Relaunch LyX 2.3.0.  It will think it's a new installation with no
configuration files and will generate them (taking longer than usual to
start while doing so).  Run a test to see if the sub/superscripts are
"normal."  If so, it is something in the non-default settings.  From there,
you can compare the contents of the new (clean) configuration files in that
directory to the backup you made.

To recover your old settings, for better or worse, remove the "new"
~/Library/Application
Support/LyX-2.3 directory and copy over the "old", backed-up, one from
~/Library/Application
Support/LyX-2.3.bak.

- Joel