On 08/07/2018 07:03 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
On Aug 7, 2018, at 11:57 AM, Paul A. Rubin <parubi...@gmail.com> wrote:

That said, it's a PITA to get the abstract package to work with LyX.

Paul,

  I've not followed this thread being busy with paying work. :-) But, I am
surprised you've had issues with it.

  All my documents (letters, articles, reports, and books) use the
KOMA-script versions. I don't explicitly load an abstract package in the
document's preamble, just type it in the appropriate place, highlight it,
and select 'Abstract' from the environment menu. As long as I remember to
not put the title on the page it comes out correctly.

  Were I to write a two-column article, I'd use the \multicols{} package and
put the abstract above that.

  Just my 50-cents worth.

Rich
Rich,

I've never had any problems with abstracts, using the standard Abstract environment and no additional package (same as you). The LaTeX Abstract package is apparently supposed to simplify creating centered, page-wide abstracts in papers that use a two column layout. I assume that's why Jerry, the OP, was loading it. At least when used with LyX, the "simplify" part seems to be in doubt. :-)

As far as using the \multicols command, to each his own. It's been a while since I wrote something in two column format, and I think the last time I did it used a journal-specific LaTeX class that dealt with the two-column stuff (and the layout of the abstract). Jerry might want to look at \multicols{} (which I seem to vaguely recall using in the past), but I sent him a couple of MWE (one with the Abstract package, one without), and it sounds like that'll get him over the hump for now.

Paul