I'm using 1.1.6. The document was created in that version.

No figures in the document.

I haven't tried printing it on paper. I tried printing it to file and got the
same stuff, so I figured priting to paper would do the same as printing to file.

The line that ends page four is "...extrinsic denomination of existing in a
place. But this" and then it stops. I don't see anything in the code that could
be a mistake. But then I might just not know enough.

Also, I did try just copying the text into another document, in case something
had gotten corrupted. That didn't work either.

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, you wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 19:04:28 -0500 wrote Christopher Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> > For some reason I cannot generate complete output for one document
> > in particular. If I print to file, view postscript or dvi, export to postscript
> > or dvi, the displayed output stops at page four. If I view pdf or pdflatex, gs
> > comes up, stopped at page four. If I view html, I get the complete document.
> >
> > I have tried other files, and they work just fine. I can't think of any changes
> > I made to anything, which might account for this, and I don't really know how
> > to track down the problem. I suppose it must be something to do with the dvi,
> > since latex2html does its job.
#LyX 1.1 created this file. For more info see http://www.lyx.org/
\lyxformat 218
\textclass article
\begin_preamble
\usepackage{abbrevs}
\usepackage{achicago}
\usepackage{attrib}
\usepackage{philabbrevs}

\newabbrev\oni{\emph{On Nature Itself} (1698)}
\end_preamble
\language english
\inputencoding latin1
\fontscheme times
\graphics default
\paperfontsize 12
\spacing double
\papersize letterpaper
\paperpackage a4
\use_geometry 1
\use_amsmath 0
\paperorientation portrait
\leftmargin 1in
\topmargin 1in
\rightmargin 1in
\bottommargin 1in
\secnumdepth 3
\tocdepth 3
\paragraph_separation skip
\defskip medskip
\quotes_language english
\quotes_times 2
\papercolumns 1
\papersides 1
\paperpagestyle plain

\layout Author

Christopher M.
 Jones
\layout Title

From Physics to Metaphsics
\layout Subsection

Introduction
\layout Standard

The main thesis in
\latex latex

\backslash
S13
\latex default

\latex latex
of
\backslash
oni
\latex default
 is that
\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

we must necessarily place something in bodies over and above uniform mass
 and its transposition
\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

.
 Though it is true that this section presents a largely, and perhaps even
 entirely negative argument against the Cartesian notion of extension, it's
 aim is more positive than just this.

\layout Standard

Though I profess dissagreement with both the interpretations I review, my
 dissagreement is on different grounds with respect to each of them.
 Regarding the Garber/Adams interpretation, I align myself with Lodge in
 his criticisms.
 Regarding Lodge's insterpretation, I consider my interpretation to be an
 extension of and a further reflection on some of the hermaneutical issues
 he raises at the conclusion of his paper which, though it does not consitute
 a substantial disagreement, nevertheless places the argument in a slightly
 different light.

\layout Subsection

Division of the argument
\layout Standard

Both of the interpretations I review here understand Leibniz's argument
 as primarily a negative one, primarily concerned to show up the Cartesian
 notion of body as merely extended to be inadequate.
 This is reflected in the divisions of the argument offered by its respective
 commentators.
 Against these views, which I shall discuss following my discussion of the
 argument itself, I offer an interpretation recognizing one major division
 in the section as a whole, the latter of which contains the thesis of the
 section as a whole, which the conclusions of the previous one are meant
 to support.

\layout Subsection

Sturm's Cartesian view of body
\layout Enumerate

In
\latex latex

\backslash
oni
\latex default
 Leibniz presents an argument which Daniel Garber characterizes as showing
 that
\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

if the world is full, and full of matter uniform in its nature (both of
 which follow from the doctrine of body as exension Descartes held), then
 change is impossible
\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

\latex latex

\backslash
cite[286]{Garber-CCL}
\latex default
.

\layout Enumerate

From section twelve, we know that Leibniz takes Sturm to be committed to
 two related positions with respect to substance and matter.

\begin_deeper
\layout Enumerate

On the one hand, he is committed to the essential passivity of matter (matter
 is a passive substance), from which it would follow that bodies, or the
 things in bodies, being only modifications of matter, would be essentially
 passive.

\layout Enumerate

On the other hand, he is committed to a view of motion as consisting of
 no more than the successive existence of the moving thing in different
 places.
\end_deeper
\layout Enumerate

It is Leibniz's attack against the second position on which we focus our
 attention.

\begin_deeper
\layout Enumerate

Leibniz begins with what appears to be an uncontroversial position, as far
 as Sturm may be concerned, that in a plenum there is no criterion for distingui
shing bodies uniform in themselves, unless one is provided by motion.

\latex latex

\backslash
cite[164]{ag}
\latex default
.

\layout Enumerate

This follows from the thesis, held by Sturm, that bodies are only modifications
 of a substance which is essentially passive, and so the motion of bodies
 must be only the appearance of motion (?).
\end_deeper
\layout Subsection

The negative argument
\layout Enumerate

The negative argument has roughly three components:
\begin_deeper
\layout Enumerate

In the first place Leibniz argues that motive force is not excluded on the
 grounds that motion is
\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

only the successive existence of the moving thing in different places
\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

\latex latex

\backslash
cite[163]{ag}
\latex default
.
\layout Enumerate

In the second place he argues that, having excluded motive force, the Cartesians
 cannot account for the differentiation of bodies at a given time.

\layout Enumerate

Finally, he argues that because of these synchronic considerations, neither
 can bodies be differentiated from one moment to the next.
\layout Enumerate

From these considerations, Leibniz comes to his first conclusion, that if
 the Cartesian view is correct then we could not account for the phenomena
 of diversity and motion.
\end_deeper
\layout Enumerate

We know from earlier in
\latex latex

\backslash
oni
\latex default
 that Leibniz holds that
\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

extension, or that which is geometrical in bodies, if taken by itself, has
 nothing in itself from which action and motion can arise
\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

\latex latex

\backslash
cite[161]{ag}
\latex default
.

\begin_deeper
\layout Enumerate

However, it remains for him to show that motion cannot arise from the notion
 of extension.

\layout Enumerate

This is what section thirteen is supposed to show.

\end_deeper
\layout Enumerate

We know by now that Leibniz rejects the idea of a plenum, since he maintains
 that bodies are real, and distinguishable
\emph on
per se
\emph default
.

\begin_deeper
\layout Enumerate

But for the moment, he grants sturm his position, even though, as he says,

\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

it is not quite satisfactory, and \SpecialChar \ldots{}
 expresses what results from motion better
 than it expresses its formal definition \SpecialChar \ldots{}

\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

 .

\layout Enumerate

Indeed, Sturm's construal of 'place' is not in itself problematic for Leibniz,
 since all this entails is that a body is
\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

in the present moment of motion \SpecialChar \ldots{}
 in a place commensurate with itself
\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

\latex latex

\backslash
cite[163]{ag}
\latex default
.

\layout Enumerate

Recall that Leibniz has a place for what he calls
\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

mathematical
\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

 or
\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

geometrical
\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

 extension.
 What Leibniz's argument attempts to show is that this kind of extension
 is not satisfactory in itself for doing the job Sturm assigns to it.
\end_deeper
\layout Enumerate

Since Sturm removes from bodies all qualities and modifications by which
 they may be said to differ in themselves, he has only the external denomination
 of 'existing in this place' and 'successively coming to exist in another
 place'.

\begin_deeper
\layout Enumerate

Or we could put it another way: in order to differ from one another, bodies
 must
\emph on
differentiate themselves
\emph default
 from one another.

\layout Enumerate

But since Surm has removed from body all qualities and modifications by
 which they might do this, he has only the extrinsic denomination of existing
 in a place.
 But this ground for difference get Sturm little far, sinc echange of place
 reduces to the
\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

perpetual substitution of indistinguishables
\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

\latex latex

\backslash
cite[164]{ag}.
\layout Enumerate

Furthermore, if no body differs from another at a given time, then neither
 will a given time, or momentary state, differ from a future momentary state.

\end_deeper
\layout Subsection

Two interpretations
\layout Subsubsection

Garber and Adams
\layout Enumerate

Though the interpertations which Garber and Adams offer are different in
 some important respects, they both take Leibniz to be making an
\latex latex

\backslash
ap
\latex default
 claim about the possibility of difference and change, on the Cartesian
 view of extended body.
\layout Subsubsection

Lodge
\layout Enumerate

Paul Lodge argues for the empirical nature of Leibniz's argument.
\layout Enumerate

The focal point of Lodge's interpretation is the section preceeding the
 'concentric spheres' illustration, in which Leibniz says,
\begin_deeper
\layout Enumerate

And since everything substituted for something prior would be prefectly
 equivalent, no observer, not even an omniscient one, would detect even
 the lightest indication of change.
 And thus, everything would be just as if there were no change or discrimination
 in bodies, nor could we ever explain the different appearances we sense.

\latex latex

\backslash
attrib{
\backslash
cite[164]{ag}.
\end_deeper
\layout Enumerate

Lodge draws attention to Leibniz's concern, which appears quite clear from
 this passage, that the Cartesian position fails to account for the appearance
 of change, which we clearly do sense.

\layout Enumerate

However, Lodge goes a step farther than this to say that it is not merely
 the way the world appears to our senses which Sturm's view fails to account
 for, rather it is the fact that
\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

our phenomenal representations of the world are themselves qualitatively
 diverse
\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

\latex latex

\backslash
cite[96]{lodge-heterogeneity}.

\latex default
It is a further consequence of this that we represent the world as containing
 intrinsic qualitative differences.

\layout Enumerate

Lodge points to passages such as the one from blahblahblah, in which Leibniz
 says, 'equivalent things would always be substituted for previous ones,
 given a plenum, with the result that the diversity of the phenomena would
 not be produced,' and, from a letter to De Volder,
\begin_deeper
\layout Enumerate

Those who have minds possessed by such a crude picture give insufficient
 consideration not only to other matters, but especially to the fact that
 no basis for distinction in corporeal things would arise were that the
 case (something I once demonstrated to Sturm)\SpecialChar \ldots{}

\latex latex

\backslash
attrib{
\backslash
cite[183]{ag}
\end_deeper
\layout Enumerate

The key here, as I understand it, is the use Leibniz makes of the production
 or the arising of appearances out of the world, such that his thesis is
 not just that extension alone fails to furnish an adequate description
 of appearances, but that the world which is merely extended in the way
 Sturm describes could not give rise to the appearances to which it does
 in fact give rise.
\layout Subsubsection

Hermaneutical issues
\layout Enumerate

Lodge locates the meat of the argument in Leibniz's use of a
\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

causally mediated relation of resemblance between our sensations and at
 least some of the object of which they are sensations
\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

\latex latex

\backslash
cite[97]{lodge-heterogeneity}.

\latex default
 But the most we can say about Leibniz's notion of resemblance, at least
 directly, is, as Lodge puts it, that it is a
\begin_deeper
\layout Enumerate

\SpecialChar \ldots{}
 Leibniz thinks of resemblance as a one-one mapping which is 'orderly',
 in other words one which allows us to move from domain to range in a relatively
 striaghtforward way.
 And whatever the complexities tha tattend the partitioning of all the epxpressi
o nrelations into those which are resemblance rleations, and thos ethat
 are not, it seems that many philosophers of this time, would have accepted
 that there is such a resemblance between our sensations of bodies and the
 qualities of the bodies themselves.

\latex latex

\backslash
attrib{
\backslash
cite[98]{lodge-heterogeneity}.
\end_deeper
\layout Subsection

An Alternative interpretation
\layout Enumerate

Concluding his discussion with some breif methodological arguments, Lodge
 points out that many commentators may be influenced in their readings of
 Leibniz's various arguments by an assumption that Leibniz must, as he is
 a 'rationalist' argue on
\latex latex

\backslash
ap
\latex default
grounds for the internal inconsistency or contradictoriness of the Cartesian
 account.
 The commentators seem especially willing to do this, says Lodge, where
 the complexity and multi-layeredness of Leibniz's analyses offer enough
 ambiguity so as to make room for this kind of reading.

\layout Enumerate

I wonder if Lodge's caution might direct us to find still more layers of
 complexity in Leibniz's argument in
\latex latex

\backslash
S 13 of
\backslash
oni
\latex default
, now that he has done the better work of opening up this line of thinking
 to us.
 Of principle concern to me is that I do not see Leibniz as offering a straightf
orwardly negative argument in this section.
 In order to show why I think this is, I wish to return, as promised, to
 the matter of the division of the section.
\layout Subsection

The positive thesis
\layout Enumerate

Leibniz argues for two conclusions, or conseqences of the argument:
\begin_deeper
\begin_deeper
\layout Enumerate

\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

\SpecialChar \ldots{}
 it ought to be accepted as certain that such consequences are alien to
 the nature and order of things, and that nowhere are there things perfectly
 similar (which is among my new and more important axioms).
 Another conseqence of this is that, in nature, there are neither corpuscles
 of maximal hardness, nor a fluid of maximal thinness, nor a subtle matter
 universally diffused, nor ultimate elements which certain people call by
 the names 'primary' and 'secondary'.

\latex latex

\backslash
attrib{
\backslash
cite[164]{ag}}
\end_deeper
\layout Enumerate

Leibiz fleshes out this second conclusion via Aristotle:
\begin_deeper
\layout Enumerate

\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

Because, I think, Aristotle (more profound in my view than many think) saw
 several of these principles, he judged that, over and above change in place,
 one must have alteration, and that matter is not everywhere similar to
 itself, or selse it would remain unchageable.
\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

\latex latex

\backslash