On 10/13/18, Paul Johnson <pauljoh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have some projects based on LyX 2.2.3 that I want to work on and I
> don't want to update to new. However, I also have projects based on
> 2.3 and I can't edit those with old LyX.
>
> Liviu Andronic worked out a way for this to be possible a few years
> ago, but I cannot find documents about it. I wish I could have old and
> new lyx installed at same time, to easily run one or the other.
> I've tried to do this by installing 2.3.1 from the Ubuntu package and
> then compiling 2.2.3 from source and installing off the path, but then
> I found the 2 versions should not share a user configuration folder.
> After using 2.3.1 and allowing it to revise ~/.lyx, then lyx 2.2.3
> cannot start. Error like this:

I didn't continue doing the previous stable release packages as a
separate install (like I did for 1.6 and 2.0) as it didn't seem like
there was enough demand. I may reconsider this going forward.

If you're building from source, it's very easy to achieve this, and
you would only need to use this argument when configuring, e.g.:
--with-version-suffix=2.2

This will take care of most things, like renaming the binary to
'lyx2.2', the share and home folders to 'lyx2.2', etc. It works
surprisingly well. You should even be able to do make install, and in
principle it shouldn't clash with the existing install from the PPA.

Although it's necessarily more complicated, for inspiration you can
always take a look at, e.g., the lyx2.0 packages. Just fetch e.g.:
lyx2.0_2.0.8.1-2~trusty~ppa1.debian.tar.gz

and inspect the 'debian/rules' file. It will list the config options.

Regards,
Liviu