On 11/12/2018 4:03 PM, Stephen Buonopane wrote:

>> On Nov 12, 2018, at 7:52 AM, Baris Erkus <bariser...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> Because PNG format is bitmap?
>>>     PNG image data, 652 x 668, 8-bit/color RGB, non-interlaced
>>>
>>>     Kornel
>>>
>> The external graphics is in PDF, which is attached to the original
>> e-mail; it was generated in Tikz, so it is a vector graphics. No
>> question about it.  When inserted into LyX, maybe LyX creates a
>> temporary bitmap or PNG file to show to the user, I am not sure.
>>
>> It should not be a big thing to show a higher resolution graphics or to
>> let the user decide for possible performance issues. One day I will be
>> doing all these small modification by myself, but when that I do not
>> know... :-)
>>
>> Baris
>
> Yes LyX creates a PNG file for the on-screen preview within LyX (It also does
> this for the math preview)
> If you dig into the LyX temp directory you will find all of the PNG files.
>
> I recall that an older version of LyX (on Mac) did not use PNG for on-screen
> previews, in which case it may be possible to revert to the older behavior
> even in 2.3.X?

In fact, I found the temporary folder that collects the PNGs:
C:\Users\**UserName**\AppData\Roaming\**LyXFolder**\cache   (Windows 10,
64 bit, LyX, 2.3.1-1)

I erased the PNGs and re-opened the LyX file. I generated the PNG right
in front of my eyes. But it is the same PNG with low quality. :-(

Maybe, there are some other issues with showing either the PDF or a
higher resolution PNG as Stephan Witt mentioned.

Baris