Environment: LyX-3.2.3 on Slackware-14.2.

  Attachments: mwe.lyx, nonworking biblio screen shot, working biblio screen
shot.

  Problem: for a new document the bibliography insists on displaying by
number while I have the settings asking for author-year. I don't see what's
wrong.

  The settings for a previous document (working-bib-screen-shot.png) I
duplicated for the new document (nonworking-bib-screen-shot.png), but with
different results.

  In the older, properly working bibliography settings the combobox for
style format is greyed out (the faint text is Natbib (bibtex)); in the new
bibliography settings it's not greyed out. That's the only difference I'm
seeing.

  This is the bibtex entry for the citation (from JabRef):

@Book{Williams2014,
  author    = {Williams, J.E. and Giannico, G.R. and Withrow-Robinson, B.},
  title     = {Field Guide to Common Fish of the Willamette Valley Floodplain},
  year      = {2014},
  publisher = {Oregon State University Extension Service},
  pagetotal = {44},
  number    = {EM 9091},
  abstract  = {A field guide to native and nonnative fish in the Willamette
River system.},
  keywords  = {fish, Willamette River, Oregon},
}

  I expect that fresh eyeballs will see what I'm overlooking and their owner
will clue me in to what needs to be changed.

Carpe weekend,

Rich
#LyX 2.3 created this file. For more info see http://www.lyx.org/
\lyxformat 544
\begin_document
\begin_header
\save_transient_properties true
\origin unavailable
\textclass scrreprt
\begin_preamble
\date{}
\usepackage{gensymb}
%\usepackage{draftwatermark}
\end_preamble
\options abstract=on, enabledeprecatedfontcommands
\use_default_options true
\maintain_unincluded_children false
\language english
\language_package default
\inputencoding auto
\fontencoding global
\font_roman "palatino" "default"
\font_sans "cmss" "default"
\font_typewriter "cmtt" "default"
\font_math "auto" "auto"
\font_default_family default
\use_non_tex_fonts false
\font_sc false
\font_osf false
\font_sf_scale 100 100
\font_tt_scale 100 100
\use_microtype false
\use_dash_ligatures true
\graphics default
\default_output_format pdf2
\output_sync 0
\bibtex_command bibtex
\index_command default
\paperfontsize default
\spacing single
\use_hyperref false
\papersize custom
\use_geometry true
\use_package amsmath 1
\use_package amssymb 1
\use_package cancel 1
\use_package esint 0
\use_package mathdots 1
\use_package mathtools 1
\use_package mhchem 1
\use_package stackrel 1
\use_package stmaryrd 1
\use_package undertilde 1
\cite_engine natbib
\cite_engine_type authoryear
\biblio_style authordate3
\use_bibtopic false
\use_indices false
\paperorientation portrait
\suppress_date true
\justification true
\use_refstyle 0
\use_minted 0
\index Index
\shortcut idx
\color #008000
\end_index
\paperwidth 6.5in
\paperheight 9.5in
\leftmargin 2cm
\topmargin 4cm
\bottommargin 2cm
\headsep 1.6cm
\secnumdepth 2
\tocdepth 2
\paragraph_separation indent
\paragraph_indentation default
\is_math_indent 0
\math_numbering_side default
\quotes_style english
\dynamic_quotes 0
\papercolumns 1
\papersides 2
\paperpagestyle default
\tracking_changes false
\output_changes false
\html_math_output 0
\html_css_as_file 0
\html_be_strict false
\end_header

\begin_body

\begin_layout Subsection
Biological
\end_layout

\begin_layout Standard
There are many fish species in the Willamette River system; a few are native
 and many are nonnative imports for sport fishing.
 Native fish species include chinook salmon, steelhead/rainbow trout, coastal
 cutthroat trout, chiselmouth, northern pikeminnow, peamouth, redside shiner,
 speckled dace, largescale sucker, threespine stickleback, reticulate sculpin,
 prickly sculpin, Oregon chub, sand roller, brook lamprey, pacific lamprey,
 and common native minnows.
 Nonnative species include bluegill, pPumpkinseed, warmouth, green sunfish,
 black crappie, white crappie, common carp, goldfish, largemouth bass, smallmout
h bass, western mosquitofish, yellow bullhead,.bown bullhead, yellow perch,
 banded killifish, oriental weatherfish, and common sunfish
\begin_inset CommandInset citation
LatexCommand citep
key "Williams2014"
literal "true"

\end_inset

.

\end_layout

\begin_layout Standard
\begin_inset CommandInset bibtex
LatexCommand bibtex
btprint "btPrintCited"
bibfiles "/home/rshepard/documents/jabrefdb"
options "plain"

\end_inset

\end_layout

\end_body