On 26.03.19 15:16, Pavel Sanda wrote:
On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 04:48:58PM +0100, Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
When I did the same thing (loaded backport 2.3.2 on top of my
existing debian stretch lyx)

John, how did you do it in detail?  I downloaded 2.3.2 in my
Download folder. How do I make sure it is installed at the same
place as the old lyx? Wolfgang
If you are on debian why not use debian way?

1. add stretch-backports to your /etc/apt/sources.list, line like:
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch-backports main

2. update package database
apt-get update

3. install to current lyx stable:
apt-get -t stretch-backports install lyx

Does it work for you?
Pavel

Thanks, Pavel, for your advice. I had used synaptic for my LinuxMint so far, and was wondering about the small red ! signs on it. Now I found out that Mint uses a special "mintupdate" which made the synaptic signs disappear and updated quite a number of my programs, among them lyx. Thats very good. Learned again!

Wolfgang