Ivan,

I assume you use a Mac from the look of the icons. If you use Windows,
stop reading here :-)-O

What happens if you try something like

        ci -l Title.lyx

from a command line?

Or even better

        ci -u -i -t-"Register" "Title.lyx"

(leave the -q out)

Does a file

        Title.lyx,v

already exist?

I have been using RCS on the mac for many years, and for a single user
it is perfectly sufficient.  On the Mac it was included in the past, but
now (Mojave) has to install it manually from something like Homebrew.

What does

        realpath $(which ci)

return?

Homebrew would return something like

        /usr/local/Cellar/rcs/5.9.4_1/bin/ci

For collaboration something like GIT or SVN is much better, but the
required setup effort is also bigger.

greetings, el