On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 21:30:54 -0000 (UTC)
Guenter Milde <mi...@users.sf.net> wrote:

> On 2019-04-25, Steve Litt wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> > My 377 page "Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful
> > Technologist", compiled from a shellscript that starts by adding
> > customization material and ends by displaying the finished PDF,
> > takes 18 seconds on my 16GB RAM, AMD A6-6400K APU with Radeon(tm) HD
> > Graphics, dual core at 3.9Ghz.
>
> I suppose you don't use LuaTeX.

No. It turns out that some time in the past, I changed my shellscript
to do:

lyx --export pdf4 $1.lyx

A look into configure.py indicates that pdf4 means Xetex, and pdf5
means LuaTeX. So I changed between pdf4 and pdf5 a few times, and it
takes about 15.5 seconds for pdf4, and 24 seconds for pdf5 (LuaTeX).

My shellscript does more than just export from LyX. It first puts
customer info into the LyX file itself, then it compiles LyX to PDF,
then it checks the PDF metadata to make sure everything's OK, and then
it displays the PDF file, finishing after I quit out of mupdf.

SteveT