On Sat, 11 May 2019, Paul A. Rubin wrote:

Wouldn't using dvipdfm save you the hassle of running pdftk on the output PDF?

Paul,

I've not used dvipdfm, only pdflatex.

Or is there some other problem with the dvipdfm output?

Over time I've learned that the default preview (^x ^p -> dvips) doesn't
display rotated (landscape) pages; they start near the right edge of the
display and disappear behind the monitor. With this document the landscape
oriented pages did not display properly in the pdflatex output. I've no idea
why, so I had pdftk rotate the problem pages for me. Since I regularly use
pdftk it's an easy solution for many PDF issues. As an aside, I recently
discovered pdfjam which I use to make printed web pages (such as many
recipes) fit letter-size paper when the default PDF has a slightly longer
page length which is cut off when printed.

I can't keep straight the various ways that different LaTeX to PDF paths
vary in terms of output, so I just run pdflatex on anything that can't
outfight me.

I settled on pdflatex years ago and ignore the others since this tool works
for me. Some folks like to futz with their documents but I leave such
tweaking to those who are experts in typography, page layout, and document
design. I've standardized on the KOMA-script classes and Palatino for all
body text.

Best regards,

Rich