On 01/07/2019 18:50, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
On 7/1/19 2:43 AM, Steve Hnizdur wrote:
On 01/07/2019 00:58, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
On 6/30/19 3:55 AM, Steve Hnizdur wrote:
On 29/06/2019 17:24, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
On 6/29/19 7:43 AM, Steve Hnizdur wrote:
Hi

I need to use this code

\[\newdir{ >}{{}*!/-10pt/@{>}}\xymatrix{X\ar[r]\ar@{ >->}[d]  & Y\ar@{ >->}[d]\\Z \ar[r]  & W}\]

in order to move the tail of the vertical arrows away from the entries X and Y. This works in an ERT but when inputting in native LYX it strips out the important spaces in \newdir{ >} and @{ >->}. Is there any way to force LYX to accept these spaces.

Many thanks
I think the problem is that you named your new arrowhead " >" (meaning the name contains a space). Changing that to something else seems to fix the problem. Based on an example in the LyX xy-pic help file, I used a vertical bar (so the first argument to \newdir is "|>"). I've attached a working (for me at least) LyX file.

Paul >

Hi

Thanks for that. I had taken the code directly from the XY-pic User’s Guide. Now, having played with it ANY allowable LYX character seems to work e.g. x.

There have been other instances where LYX will not allow input of characters, for instance the tilde ~. I needed this in \ar@{~>}[r] in xy-pic to produce a squiggly arrow. I eventually forced it in by pasting into the maths environment. The screen shows LYX thinks there is a space, the code view shows a tilde, but when trying to input tilde from the keyboard LYX converts it to \sim which then throws a compile error.

Cheers

What happens if you escape the tilde (with a backslash)?

I get this

"Xy-pic error: illegal <arrow>: macro:->\T1-cmd \~\T1\~ not valid."

Yeah, that one's definitely weird. I had to reverse engineer the wiggly arrow in the LyX xy-pic manual. It turns out that you need to use Insert > Formatting > Protected Space where you want the tilde. In the math inset, you'll see the marker for a space, but if you look at the LyX code in the Code Preview pane, it will be a tilde ... plus, when you compile you'll see that it worked.

Paul

Yes its annoying. I achieved the right code by cutting ~> from normal text and pasting it into the maths environment. This seems to stop the shortcut mechanism changing the tilde to \sim.

--

Steve Hnizdur