You probably need to compile lyx though. I assume that Lyx uses the O2 flag
for production builds so while error messages and logs are a huge help
(minimum working example is the best), unless you can compile with the O0
flag for gcc, gdb will just return a mess.

The good news is that you mostly dont need to worry about gdb. The bad news
is that you need to learn a gui for gdb (there are many and eclipse works
really well but there is a dedicated ide called something like IntelliCode
or something and I really loved that one). Basically, gdb is for stepping
through code. I would not recommend it for most users but it teach you a
lot about programming if that is something that interests you.

Thanks,
~Ben