On 9/2/19 4:28 AM, Ralph Boland wrote:
I get an error when I try to create a Lyx document with an index
using amsbook document class.  Searching the problem on the internet
I found out that for  amsbook and other ams document classes the
\usepackage(makeidx) line is unnecessary and generates an error
if added to your tex document.

I tested this by generating the .tex file from my .lyx file (using
Latex (pdflatex))
and then commenting out the line in the .tex file:

            \usepackage(makeidx)

With this line commented out the problem goes away.

The problem is of course that Lyx adds this line to the .tex file
if I create an index.  So I cannot prevent this from occurring.

I am using Lyx 2.3.2  and Debian 10 OS.

Is this fixed in Lyx 2.3.3?

Ralph Boland
Try putting "provides makeidx 1" in Document > Settings > Local layout. This will hopefully dissuade LyX from adding the redundant \usepackage command ... maybe.

Paul