Am Donnerstag, 12. Dezember 2019, 01:29:59 CET schrieb Andrew Parsloe:
> On 12/12/2019 1:14 pm, Joel Kulesza wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 4:59 PM Andrew Parsloe <ajpars...@gmail.com
> >
> > <mailto:ajpars...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >     On 12/12/2019 12:36 pm, Joel Kulesza wrote:
> >>     On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 4:01 PM Andrew Parsloe
> >>
> >>     <ajpars...@gmail.com <mailto:ajpars...@gmail.com>> wrote:

> >>         Like Axel, I get the "GIF see Image formats" entry produced
> >>         in the index. This is LyX 2.3.3, the English User's Guide, on
> >>         a Windows 10 machine. Under "Images" there is a subheading
> >>         "Formats  71".
> >>
> >>         Andrew
> >>
> >>     Andrew,
> >>
> >>     To confirm: you see an entry for "GIF" in the index?
> >>
> >>     My understanding from Section 6.6.3 of the User Guide is that it
> >>     should exist and point to Image Formats as a cross reference.
> >>     However, I do not see that and I believe Axel indicated that he
> >>     didn't look for the GIF entry.
> >>
> >>     The cross-referencing entry for GIF that I'm missing (and want to
> >>     have in my own document).
> >>
> >>     Thanks,
> >>     Joel
> >
> >     Yes, I copied the "GIF see Image formats" entry from the index of
> >     a just-compiled User's Guide. It's there, along with similar
> >     entries for JPG, SVG, PNG and EPS. In case it's relevant the index
> >     has numerous other see references, e.g., "Bindings see Key
> >     Bindings", "Formulas see Math", "Glossary see Nomenclature",
> >     "Ligatures see Typography", and as a subheading under "LYX",
> >     "Reconfigure see Reconfiguration of LYX".
> >
> >     Andrew
> >
> > Darn, OK, thanks.  I'll hunt around some more to see if I can provoke
> > it into appearing.  A question: are you using MikTeX or TeXLive?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Joel
>
> MiKTeX 2.9 64 bit.
>
> In the Code Preview pane I see, e.g., \index{GIF|see{Image formats}}.
>
> In Document settings, I see
>
> Document class is KOMA-Script book with custom class options:
>
> refpage,intoc,bibliography=totoc,index=totoc,BCOR7.5mm,captions=tableheading
>
> Indexes is default. (Presumably MakeIndex?) and in the preamble I see
>
> % macro for italic page numbers in the index
>
> \newcommand{\IndexDef}[1]{\textit{#1}}
>
> Andrew

Joel,

The makeidx documentation is rather clear that there should be a primary entry
for a specific notion (”GIF” in the example) and a second entry for the more
general category which is referenced (”image formats”). If one of them does
not appear in the index, the processing does not work as expected. I tried out
alternative index processors but the result was always the same. So I don't
have a theory where this behaviour is triggered. I guess you should file a bug
to get the experts involved.

Axel