Am Mittwoch, den 12.02.2020, 07:28 +0100 schrieb Jürgen Spitzmüller:
> Am Dienstag, den 11.02.2020, 21:44 +0100 schrieb Martin Weise:
> > Ok, here's something I (just) noticed: pdflatex, when run without
> > arguments, produces a .dvi file from HelloWorld.tex. It is only if
> > specify "-output-format=pdf" that it creates a .pdf file.
> >
> > From what I understand, this is not what pdflatex should normally
> > do.
>
> Try the following:
>
> Find the configuration file pdftexconfig.tex in the terminal via
>
> kpsewhich pdftexconfig.tex

... and if no such file is there, you need to create it, as indeed (and
maybe surprisingly) pdf(la)tex _does_ produce DVI by default; it only
produces PDF if advised so via \pdfoutput.

I attach my (default TeXLive) configuration file for convenience.

Jürgen
% tex-ini-files 2016-04-15: pdftexconfig.tex

% Load shared (PDF) settings in pdfTeX

% Enable PDF output
\pdfoutput           = 1

% Paper size: dimensions given in absolute terms
\pdfpageheight       = 297 true mm
\pdfpagewidth        = 210 true mm

% Enable PDF 1.5 output and thus more compression
\pdfminorversion     = 5
\pdfobjcompresslevel = 2

% Low-level settings unlikely ever to need to change
\pdfcompresslevel    = 9
\pdfdecimaldigits    = 3
\pdfpkresolution     = 600
\pdfhorigin          = 1 true in