I compiled the new version of LyX 2.3.4.2. The crash while trying to use
the Ø symbol has disappeared. However, there is still an anomaly: if after
writing this symbol, you try to write a second one next to it, nothing
happens (this also happens with the Å symbol which is to the left of Ø on
the presentation palette). It seems to me that the cursor stays inside the
character instead of being positioned ready to receive a new character as
it happens with most symbols.

I don't think it's an urgent bug to fix since by moving the cursor with the
mouse you get the ability to insert a new character.

Bug hunting is a never ending exercise!