On 3/26/20 11:09 AM, Kornel Benko wrote:
> Am Thu, 26 Mar 2020 09:58:54 +0100
> schrieb Zelphir Kaltstahl <zelphirkaltst...@posteo.de>:
>
>> On 25.03.20 22:35, lyx-users-requ...@lists.lyx.org wrote:

>>> Probably you have to tell Guix about the new path.
>>> Have you tried to start lyx from the terminal? (That is, after the .profile
>>> is loaded)
>>>
>>>     Kornel
>> Hello Kornel!
>>
>> How do I tell Guix about the new path?
>>
>> I might be wrong, but as far as I understand LyX installed through Guix
>> is just another binary sitting in a different place. How LyX considers
>> environment variables should be independent from how it is installed,
>> unless the people maintaining the Guix package changed it.
> The installed programs do not have any environments. It is your environment
> which will be used at program start. (Or that of Guix because it is what
> Guix got at its start, that is on your login)
>
>> I guess
>> people, who maintain the Guix package would also be on this mailing list
>> and might know more about any differences with regard to how LyX makes
>> use of environment variables.
> Sure, but the values from .profile are not active at the moment Guix starts
> (my guess).
> There may be another file (for instance .xinitrc) which may be evaluated
> before Guix
> starts.
>
>> I ran LyX from terminal to get the output in the paste I linked to. I
>> simply type `lyx2.3` and enter/return, then the LyX binary (compiled at
>> the installation with Guix) starts up and looks up stuff, whereupon it
>> somehow finds the wrong texlive path and does not use my complete
>> installation of texlive 2019 sitting at another path.
>>
>> Is there an environment variable I can set, besides TEXMFCNF, which
>> clearly tells LyX to look elsewhere?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Zelphir
>>
> Hello Zelphir,
> I had a similar problem with other window managers, because of not using
> .profile.
> (I use tcsh as a shell)
> I don't know Guix, but it may be the same solution would work for you too.
> 1.) Edit (or create) ~/.pam_environment (Attached the content of my file)
> 2.) You need also some packages libpam-runtime libpam0g libpam-modules
> libpam-modules-bin
> libpam-systemd
>   (You probably have them already)
> It should work with the next login.
>
>       Kornel

Hi Kornel!

You were right! I found an even easier solution though:

My ~/.profile definitions are not visible to a program installed via
Guix, when it starts. So I looked around in my Guix profile folder at
~/.guix-profile and found an etc/profile in there. There I add my
variables, just like in ~/.profile and tada! LyX starts just fine. I
guess, that LyX only worked the first time correctly, because the Guix
daemon was already started and did not read the default definitions in
that ~/.guix-profile/etc/profile without rebooting or relogin. So when I
started my machine the next day, it suddenly started seeing those wrong
default variable values in there. Now that I changed them in there,
after a relogin everything works as expected. No more errors on command
line output.

Not sure whether that profile file will be overwritten in the future,
but if that happens I will notice and search for a Guix best practice
regarding environment variables.

Thank you for your help and hints!

Regards,
Zelphir