John,

Debian uses a package manager (which implies stability and long intervals
between updates) instead of the lates TeXLive.

If you are bored, there is apparently a dummy package to install TeXLive
instead of using the package manager, which however needs to be upgraded every
year.

For production use (as in your case) I would stay with the package manager.
Mixing both together can cause difficult to trace issues.

I like to bleed the edge, tip the spear, crack the ass so to say, so I upgrade
early and often, even if it means running into the odd (usually temporary)
issue.  I have this scripted.

The coming LyX version will like all major upgrades make changes to the file
format so older versions will be unable to read that, which would create an
issue for one of my collaborators, though I can do a Zoom Sunday school. But if
one waits a week or so, they will issue a version that can, which he will
update by himself.

The below shows me you didn’t run it with sudo, but then I would not mix tlmgr
with apt.

greetings, el

—
Sent from Dr Lisse’s iPad Mini 5