On 1/18/21 11:14 PM, Anthony Macks wrote:
Dear LyX users,

I have created a new environment by adding the following to my preamble.

\newcounter{YourTurn}[section]
\newenvironment{YourTurn}[1][]{\refstepcounter{YourTurn}\par\medskip
     \noindent \color{green}\textbf{Your Turn ~\theYourTurn. #1} \rmfamily\color{black}}{\medskip}

I would like to add this environment to the drop down list in the menu.

I know I have to edit a .layout file, but I am unsure as to what to do.

If this is just for one document, you can enter the necessary layout code under Document> Settings> Local Layout.

Something like this should work:

Format 66

Counter YourTurn
    Within Section
End

Style YourTurn
    LaTeXType Environment
    LaTeXName YourTurn
    LabelType Static
    LabelCounter YourTurn
    LabelString "Your Turn \theYourTurn"
    \newcounter{YourTurn}[section]
    Preamble
         \newcounter{YourTurn}[section]
\newenvironment{YourTurn}[1][]{\refstepcounter{YourTurn}\par\medskip
         \noindent \color{green}\textbf{Your Turn ~\theYourTurn. #1} \rmfamily\color{black}}{\medskip}
    EndPremable
End

That is pretty basic but should get you started.

The preamble code specified is just copied from yours: LyX will automatically insert it, so you now don't need it in your regular premable. The advantage is that LyX will insert it *only* if you use this environment.

See the Customization manual, section 5.2, for more details. Better yet, look at some of the modules and layout files that ship with LyX. The best say to understand the syntax is to see it in action.

If you might want to re-use this, you can put it into a module and put the module into the layouts/ folder of your user directory. You'll then need to reconfigure for it to show up. Modules also need a header, like:

#\DeclareLyXModule{Formula}
#DescriptionBegin
#An environment for numbered formulas.
#DescriptionEnd