On 3/4/21 3:39 AM, Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:

Am 02.03.21 um 14:46 schrieb Wolfgang Engelmann:
In my preamble I have

\usepackage{sidecap}
% Definition to put legends beside tables and figures
\newcommand{\TabBesBeg}[1][1.0]{%
  \let\MyTable\table
  \let\MyEndtable\endtable
  \renewenvironment{table}[1]{\begin{SCtable}[#1]##1}{\end{SCtable}}}

\newcommand{\TabBesEnd}{%
  \let\table\MyTable
  \let\endtable\MyEndtable}

\newcommand{\FigBesBeg}[1][1.0]{%
  \let\MyFigure\figure
  \let\MyEndfigure\endfigure
  \renewenvironment{figure}[1]{\begin{SCfigure}[#1]##1}{\end{SCfigure}}}

\newcommand{\FigBesEnd}{%
  \let\figure\MyFigure
  \let\endfigure\MyEndfigure}

In the document I use in ERT
\FigBesBeg} before the float figure and
\FigBesEnd} after the float figure

but get this error:
! Undefined control sequence.
l.279 ...lgae (see figure \ref{thalli}).\figBesBeg

The control sequence at the end of the top line
of your error message was never \def'ed. If you have
misspelled it (e.g., `\hobx'), type `I' and the correct
spelling (e.g., `I\hbox'). Otherwise just continue,
and I'll forget about whatever was undefined.

What is wrong?
Wolfgang

I still struggle with sidecap figure and append a .tar.gz file with an (almost) minimal example.
The error I get:

\figBesBeg
The control sequence at the end of the top line
of your error message was never \def'ed. If you have
misspelled it (e.g., `\hobx'), type `I' and the correct
spelling (e.g., `I\hbox'). Otherwise just continue,
and I'll forget about whatever was undefined.

I used the example in the LyX help file Embedded objects 3.10
With my LyX et Co setup (Debian 11) I get with it
! Package babel Error: Unknown option `ngerman'. Either you misspelled it
(babel)                or the language definition file ngerman.ldf was not found.
See the babel package documentation for explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

But I can run it with 'show anyway' and the legend placement is correctly sidewise.

Could somebody be kind enough to run the example and see whether it works in her/his case?

My
LyX Version 2.3.6
(Friday, November 27, 2020)
Library directory: /usr/share/lyx/
User directory: ~/.lyx/
Qt Version (run-time): 5.15.2
Qt Version (compile-time): 5.15.1

Wolfgang

The problem is that you defined \FigBesBegin and \FigBesEnd with capital "F" but invoked them with lowercase "f" (as in \figBesBegin). If you correct that, the document compiles.

Paul