On 21/06/2021 9:39 am, Steve Litt wrote:
Hi all,

I have a local layout, based on Book-extsizes, for my new book. I have
no idea what the book's title will be yet, and I sure nuff don't want
to have to search all instances of that title and replace them every
time I get a better idea for the title.

Soooo, what I want to do is put something in my local layout to
articulate the title, both in the LyX authoring environment and in the
compiled PDF, showing the title in a specific appearance. I tried to do
it as a character style, as follows:

\definecolor{titlebodytextcolor}{HTML}{cc0000}

% ### Character style for book title within body text
\newcommand{\chartitlebodytextL}[0]{{\color{titlebodytextcolor}My
Current Title As Of Today}}%

CharStyle CharTitleInBody
Font
        Series  Bold
        Color   Red
EndFont
LabelFont
        Series  Bold
        Size    Larger
        Color   Red
EndLabelFont
LatexName       chartitlebodytextL
LatexType       Command
LabelString     "My Current Title As Of Today"
End

If I apply the character style CharTitleInBody to an empty string in
LyX, the exact right thing happens in the PDF, but in the LyX
authoring environment the title appears under the character style inset
and also under the following text, which is very disturbing if you're
trying to copy-edit your book in the LyX environment.

Does anybody know what I can do to make the text appear inline, instead
of underneath, within the LyX authoring environment?

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve, does adding

Decoration  minimalistic

after CharStyle CharTitleInBody help? Or

Decoration  classic

if you prefer? Your current style uses the CharStyle default decoration  called conglomerate.

Andrew