"Joao B. Oliveira" wrote:

> Once again Herbert scores a point... I was using another form of abbreviation,
> including it in a .loa file:
>
> \newcommand{\abbrev}[2]{%
>   \if@abbrlistmissing
>      \listofabbreviations
>      \@abbrlistmissingfalse
>   \fi
>      \addtocontents{loa}{\protect\makebox[8em][l]{#1}{#2}\newline}
> }
>
> The problem was that calling \addtocontents with the unprotected first
> argument did not work at all. Interestingly, Herbert's solution works
> quite differently and avoids the problem.
>
> On the other hand, now all abbreviations must be together in the
> beginning of the file, and cannot be apreaded around the text.

in this case you should use package nomencl. it does what you want!
have a look at the attached dvi and lyx-file.

the only problem is, that you have to run latex by hand!
1. file->export->latex
2. from shell run twice: latex myFile.tex
2a. makeindex -p -s myFile.tex if you have an index in text
3. makeindex myFile.glo -s myFile.ist -o myFile.gls
4. latex myFile.tex

Herbert

--
http://www.educat.hu-berlin.de/~voss/lyx/