On Fri, 15 Oct 2021, Paul A. Rubin wrote:

So I went to the original document and, in the bibliography settings,
changed the processor option from default to bibtex8, and sure enough the
original compiled correctly.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or something the user is responsible for
knowing (it was news to me, but I never use biblatex). So I'm reporting it
here to let wiser minds decide.

Paul,

Thanks for digging further into the issue. I clarify a couple of points
because I think the problem is a bug, not a "feature." :-)

Biblatex replaced bibtxt a number of years ago, and the application which
works on biblatex-formatted bibliographic databases is Biber.

In my document the Settings -> Bibliography -> Bibliography Generator
Processer is set to biber.

 I'm not sure what bibtex8 does, but biblatex and biber are a mated pair.

Carpe weekend,

Rich