Am 17.12.21 um 20:20 schrieb Virgil Arrington:

*From: *Herbert Voss via lyx-users <mailto:lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
*Sent: *Friday, December 17, 2021 6:06 AM
*To: *lyx-users@lists.lyx.org
*Subject: *Re: LuaTeX vs XeTeX

Am 16.12.21 um 22:12 schrieb Virgil Arrington via lyx-users:
> > Starting with the completely clean files, I added the Microtype
> > package to both and compiled them. As with my first test, I got
> > different results. XeTeX once again produced many more hyphenated
> > lines -- essentially the same as it produced without Microtype -- than
> > did LuaTeX. Neither produced any significant overfull lines at the
> > right margin.
> >
> > So, it seems as if Microtype behaves differently with XeTeX and LuaTeX
> > -- at least on my system.
> >

> Sure, microtype for xetex is not the same as microtype for luatex.

So, I’ve learned a lot in the last couple days. Let’s see if I have this right.

1. PDFLaTeX creates documents using fonts supplied in the TeX distribution.

2. XeTeX creates documents using fonts supplied by the Operating System.

also the ones from the TeX distribution if defined by the font's filename.
Then kpsewhich can find the font.

3. LuaTeX can create documents using fonts from either the TeX distribution OR the OS system.

luatex defines an own font database which also has the symbolic names of the fonts saved.
.../texmf-var/luatex-cache/generic/names/luaotfload-names.lua.gz

Herbert

If I am right about #3, then I more fully understand Herbert’s original assertion that, with LuaTeX, there’s no reason to resort to PDF(La)TeX (or XeTeX for that matter).

Virgil