Thanks a lot. That's right. Modifying InsetLayout Marginal located in the
stdinsets.inc file indeed controls the presence or absence of "\protect".

The reason I want to get rid of it is because that without the protect, the
exported tex file looks more the way I would have typed in a text editor
outside of LyX.

From the TeX point of view, is there really a reason for the protect in this
case?