I am using macOS and until now, after compiling the lyx file (to tex and then)
to a pdf file, the output was opened by the default pdf viewer (macOS Preview,
on my computer).

I want to use the pdf viewer "Skim" to open the compiled pdf, with mainly the
advantage that there are no page jumps after making changes to the document.

What are the steps needed to change this in LyX in order to implement skim as
the pdf viewer?

The closest thing I came across until now is appendix C in the User manual,
section File Handling, and section 3 in the customization manual, "The
Preferences dialog".

It was a first reading and I haven't grasped everything, but at the moment I am
not sure if my answer is covered there at all.

Therefore my question is if those are the places to look at all, and if someone
can maybe redirect me to a short guide for that?