On 7/25/22 11:55, David Halpern wrote:
Paul,
Thanks for the response. The problem seems to be that the working directory is permanently set as my home directory, /home/dhalpern. Reading the information that appears in preferences about paths, it clearly states that the working directory should be the directory from which one starts lyx. However, I've tried starting lyx from different directories, and the working directory does not change. It's always set as the home directory. Is this a bug?  The way around seems to be to change the working directory while working on a particular project, but this is not optimal.

I am using Lyx 2.3.6.1, a fedora 36 binary package. I tried to compile myself but it failed.

David,

Please bottom-post, since it makes the email threads easier for everyone to read. The default working directory is set in Tools > Preferences... > Paths > Working directory. Regardless of where you are when you launch LyX (assuming you are launching from a terminal), that's the initial working directory. So if I open a new document and browse for a file to insert, the directory in that setting is where the browsing starts.

When you open an existing document and browse for something to insert, the initial directory should be the directory from which you loaded the document, again regardless of where you were when you started LyX.

So the issue has nothing to do with where you start LyX. The question is, once you have opened a document (presumably not in your default directory), why doesn't the initial directory setting in the graphics insertion dialog update to the home of the document?

If you open the parent document and then click Insert > File > External material (or any of the other choices), then click the browse button, does it again begin browsing in /home/dhalpern?

Paul