Indeed, using the options of bullets in the document setting itself is a good idea. The simplest probably.

Thanks Udi

Pierig

On 21/08/2022 19:14, Udicoudco wrote:
> Thanks Steve, I have a lot to read.... I have started by
> http://troubleshooters.com/linux/lyx/self_publish_lyx.htm just to get
> along with your tutorials and the way you wrote them.
>
> As I am not always focused, I have tried to add that in my layout file:
>
> Style Dialogue
>    LatexType             Environment
>    LatexName             dialog_l
>    ParSep                0.5
>
>    Font
>      Shape               Bold
>    EndFont
>    Preamble
>          \newenvironment{dialog_l}
>                  {
>                  \begin{list}{}
>                  \item[---]
>                  }
>                  {
>                  \par
>                  \end{list}
>                  }
>    EndPreamble
> End
>
> But that doesn't work at all. It leads to what I was afraid of. The
> first line of my dialog has the — sign, but not the others...
>

> I definitely have much more reading to do, but if you have an obvious
> solution to my problem, I'll be happy with it. Still, starting to be
> late for me. I'll see that another day.
>

> Pierig
>

> On 21/08/2022 13:01, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Sun, 2022-08-21 at 11:04 +0800, pierig wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have been using Lyx for years, and I am very happy with it. I am
> >> writing novels, so my needs are pretty simple. (I would happily share
> >> the novels here, but they are in French [Sci Fi])
> >>
> >> In a novel, I have two main type of text. The main one, and dialogues. I
> >> was using "Quote" for the dialogues, convenient enough.
> > I think you're going to be quite pleased with making your own text types (LyX-speak > > "environments") instead of hijacking environments meant for other purposes. You're > > moving from two to three, but if your books are anything like mine, now that you can > > make your own types, you'll want more of them. Just as a for instance, you have > > dialog and thoughts, but what about narration? What about narration of stories and > > back stories? When you can make your own environments, the world is your oyster.
> >
> >> But now I need a
> >> third one to show the thoughts of a character. Then I have decided to
> >> try to adapt the layout of "Book (standard class)"
> > I congratulate you on choosing Book class. It works with everything, and it's very > > adaptable. 7 of my 9 books use Book class, and I'd never again use Koma or Memoir.
> >
> >> I have looked at some advice on the net and manage to add a /dialogue/ > >> and /pensée/ (thoughts). For /dialogue/ it should be an itemized style,
> >> (in French we add — for each change of speaker). Which means the code
> >> for first line of a dialogue, the last line of dialogue and other lines
> >> of dialogues are different

> [...]

Hello,

I'm not certain what layout you are trying to create, but I hope the following information will help you. To address your specific problem, you can just copy the itemize layout already defined in lyx and customize it, you can find the description of the layout in the file stdlist.inc. The layout is defined as follows:

Style Itemize
    Category              List
    Margin                Static
    LatexType             Item_Environment
    LatexName             itemize
    NextNoIndent          1
    ToggleIndent          Never
    LeftMargin            MMN
    LabelSep              xx
    ItemSep               0.2
    TopSep                0.7
    BottomSep             0.7
    ParSep                0.3
    Align                 Block
    AlignPossible         Block, Left
    LabelType             Itemize
    HTMLTag               ul
    HTMLItem              li
    HTMLLabel             NONE
    Argument item:1
        LabelString   "Custom Item|s"
        Tooltip       "A customized item string"
    EndArgument
End

You can change the bullets of this layout via Document->Settings->Bullets.

If you want to understand the commands in this description, you  should read section 5.3.7 of the customization guide which comes with lyx, and can be found in Help->Customization, and after that look at module and inc files for some examples.

Another way to customize lists in lyx is with the enumitem package. In Document->Modules you should have the module "Customisable Lists (enumitem)". This module has a manual in here <http://www.lyx.org/trac/raw-attachment/ticket/7195/enumitem-example.lyx>, and if you want to use it you should probably also read the enumitem documentation.

Regards,
Udi