On 1/13/23 15:04, Stephen Buonopane wrote:

On Jan 13, 2023, at 2:54 PM, Paul Stansell <paulstans...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jan 2023 at 18:44, Richard Kimberly Heck <rikih...@gmail.com> wrote:

    FYI, Paul, there's also a full screen mode in LyX (which I think
    Pavel
    implemented), if you really want more space.

I didn't know about that either (I'm learning so much from the answers to my simple question).  It would be nice is to be able to fully customise the toolbars, then I could add just the icons I use regularly, which would easily fit in a single row.

Yes, you can fully customize the toolbars
https://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/UserInterface

It’s been a long time since I have done it, but I recall it was just editing some text files.

Yes, that's right. It's all text files.

Short version: Copy the toolbars file from LYXLIB/ui/stdtoolbars.inc to HOMELIB/ui/stdtoolbars.inc, then edit that file. Here, LYXLIB is your 'system library' directory and USERLIB is the user library. Both of these can be found from Help> About LyX. The local file will then be loaded instead of the system file. The syntax should be relatively clear. Ask if not. See Help> LyX Functions for all the different functions you can assign to buttons, etc.

You can both modify the standard toolbars this way and create new toolbars. You can also do this with menus (stdmenus.inc) and context menus (stdcontext.inc).

Riki