Please don't argue unnecessary points, on the ARM Intel can not be
virtualized only emulated as you rightly say.

Finding an ARM Linux is an issue for itself, as is installing it,
finding a recent version of LaTeX for it and keep this all current.

Makes even less sense for this small issue, for which there is s simple
workaround and which I am confident will be fixed soon.

I have been using Virtual Box on an Intel iMac (for many years) as my
practice software runs on (Intel) Windows only.  They have an early beta
for ARM, but for if and when I have to replace the iMac (with an ARM
iMini or Studio) I rather have gotten me a small form factor Intel box,
which I will install RSN and then run headless with RustDesk or VNC even
while I still have the Intel box so I get experience.

But, make no mistake, nothing else will be installed on that thingy, I
will not use Microsoft products if there is any way around it and would
not dream of even trying LyX on Windows.

el

On 23/01/2023 16:01, Christopher Menzel wrote:
[...]
> Virtualization is not emulation. An emulator (like WINE) makes use of a
> software bridge to simulate a different hardware environment, with a
> high cost in performance; software running on an emulator interacts with
> the bridge, not directly with the hardware. Software running in a
> Parallels VM runs directly on the native hardware at native, or near
> native, speeds. On a Mac running Apple Silicon, you create an native Arm
> VM with Parallels and you install an Arm version of Linux in the VM.
> There is no emulation.
>
>> and install Linux, of which most distributions do not have the latest
>> and greatest LyX and or TeX(live)
>
> So you find one that does (e.g., Kali and, soon, Fedora), easy-peasy.
> It’s also super easy to compile the latest and greatest source
> yourself under Linux (not that that’s everyone’s cup o’ tea).
>
>> to fix a bug that is almost certainly going to be fixed soon and can
>> be reasonably easily circumvented until then?
>
> Well, I admit that I didn’t say so explicitly, but I wasn’t really
> suggesting that one purchase and install Parallels /just/ to fix the
> bug (which /hopefully/ is going to be fixed soon — though if it isn’t,
> it won’t be Stephan’s fault, it will be due to some deeper problem
> with MacOS).  I was assuming that one might have Parallels installed
> already or have independent reasons for purchasing it.  For such
> folks, the VM solution (even if temporary) seems to me to be a
> reasonable one.
>
>> Makes no sense to me, whatsoever.
>
> Hope it makes at least a bit of sense to you now. ;-)
[...]