if LyX is running you can save all open buffers to disk and then quit by
way of something like (multiple levels of double quotes are required
(on the Mac due to the space in ~/Library/Application Support/Lyx-2.3))

        pushd "$(dirname "$(find ~/Library -name .lyxpipe.in -type p)")"
        echo "LYXCMD:test:buffer-write-all" > .lyxpipe.in
        echo "LYXCMD:test:lyx-quit" > .lyxpipe.in

and then (on the Mac)

        /Applications/LyX.app/Contents/Resources/configure.py
        osascript -e 'tell application id "org.lyx.lyx" to activate'

or (on Linux, but since I use the Mac it's not tested)

        configure.py
        lyx &

and on all

        popd