> Have you tried launching LyX from a terminal? You might get some useful
> error messages that way.

Yes, I tried that already.  This is what it shows:

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592653-2.6-1.40.22 (TeX Live 2022/dev/Debian)
(preloaded format=latex)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
(./broken_fig_in_subdirectory.tex
LaTeX2e <2021-11-15> patch level 1
L3 programming layer <2022-01-21>
support/Systemcall.cpp (276): Systemcall: 'latex
"broken_fig_in_subdirectory.tex"' finished with exit code 1

> One possibility is some weird permissions problem. Are you using SE Linux?

No, I'm not using SE Linux.

Using generic names, the file combination that doesn't process is

  ~/path1/path2/file.lyx
  ~/path1/path2/dir1/dir2/file.png

were file.lyx reads dir1/dir2/file.png

However, if I move the png file to be in the same directory as the lyx file
with

  cd  ~/path1/path2
  mv dir1/dir2/file.png file.png

and edit the lyx file to read the moved file.png, this new combination
processes fine.

Also, if I create a symbolic link like this

  cd ~
  ln -s ~/path1/path2 ~/path2

the original file.lyx that reads dir1/dir2/file.png processes fine.