Thanks Daniel, this was very helpful. I suppose that if I took the time to slog through the LaTeX manual, the explanation would be in it somewhere.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:        Re: I don't understand this
Date:   Sat, 10 Jun 2023 07:01:29 +0200
From:   Daniel <xraco...@gmx.de>
To:     Tom Goldring <tom.goldr...@gmail.com>

On 2023-06-10 05:54, Tom Goldring wrote:
To get the symbol "aleph null" typically used to denote the cardinality
of the set of natural numbers, I can simply type the eight keystrokes
\aleph_0 and it will show up in LyX correctly.

Now suppose I want the set whose members are all countable subsets of
the real numbers. This is typically denoted as R_\aleph_0 (where by "R"
I don't mean the ordinary letter capital R, I mean the symbol
$\mathbb{R}$ that is used to denote the set of real numbers, which I can
get in math mode from the "del" (inverted triangle) menu. In other
words, it's "R" with subscript "aleph null".

Here's the part I don't understand. If I put in the "R" followed by
_\aleph_0, the R and the aleph show up correctly, but the zero (the
subscript of the aleph) shows up as a different character (I think it's
the character that's used in formal logic to mean something like "is not
a proof of").

Could someone please explain to me what is going on here? I can't make
any sense out of it.

I do not know why it is showing different symbols. But the solution is
to enter the \aleph_0 *outside* of the \mathbb. This is not LyX specific
but the case in LaTeX in general. Do do so in LyX you need to first step
out of the \mathbb inset (indicated by two pink corners). For example:

1. Write your R so that it shows as desired as symbol for the real
numbers (you are now inside the \mathbb inset)
2. Press the right arrow key (to move out of the \mathbb inset)
3. Type \aleph_0

I hope this helps!

Daniel