On 3/16/24 15:38, Rich Shepard wrote:
On Sat, 16 Mar 2024, Paul Rubin wrote:

In order to try to compile the doc, LyX has to write a .tex file
someplace, and that someplace has to be the "tempbuf" directory. As long
as you don't close LyX (and barring a rift in the space-time continuum),
that buffer directory and its contents should stay put.

Paul,

The issue since the TeXLive2024 upgrade is lyx finding a pdflatex error.
While updating tlmgr and fmtutils from within /etc/cron.weekly earlier this morning I ran it again manually just now and it exited with an error code 3:
No pages of output.
Transcript written on ptex.log.
fmtutil [INFO]: log file copied to: /usr/local/texlive/2024/texmf-var/web2c/euptex/ptex.log fmtutil [INFO]: /usr/local/texlive/2024/texmf-var/web2c/euptex/ptex.fmt installed. fmtutil [ERROR]: running `tex -ini   -jobname=lollipop -progname=lollipop lollipop.ini </dev/null' return status: 1
fmtutil [ERROR]: returning error due to option --strict
fmtutil [ERROR]: running `pdftex -ini   -jobname=amstex -progname=amstex -translate-file=cp227.tcx *amstex.ini </dev/null' return status: 1
fmtutil [ERROR]: returning error due to option --strict
fmtutil [ERROR]: running `pdftex -ini   -jobname=eplain -progname=eplain -translate-file=cp227.tcx *eplain.ini </dev/null' return status: 1
fmtutil [ERROR]: returning error due to option --strict
fmtutil [INFO]: disabled formats: 3
fmtutil [INFO]: successfully rebuilt formats: 51
fmtutil [INFO]: failed to build: 3 (tex/lollipop pdftex/amstex pdftex/eplain)
fmtutil [INFO]: total formats: 57
fmtutil [INFO]: exiting with status 3

I find no 'error' in ptex.log (attached.)

I need to get this issue resolved as I depend on LyX to produce documents
for clients and regulators. With a new installation of TeXLive2024 there
should have been no issues and no failures updating fmtutil.

Sigh,

Rich

Rich,

I'd never heard of ptex before. Uncle Google says it's used to publish in Japanese. I take it that's what you are trying to do?

This is way deeper in the TeX weeds than I've ever burrowed. Maybe someone familiar with the intersection of LaTeX and Japanese can help.

Paul