Maybe you need enchant (default on debian), it uses different spell checkers.

Am 17.04.24 um 5:41 PM schrieb Christopher Menzel:
I have compiled LyX 2.4-RC4 under Kali Linux and it works great but I am
  unable to spellcheck. Tools → Spellchecker is greyed out and LyX sees
no spellchecker engine under Preferences → Spellchecker. Hunspell and
the English dictionary are of course installed. I found an old thread
saying that Hunspell support had to be explicitly included at configure
time, but I believe Hunspell is now built in. At any rate, the old
“—use-hunspell” option is not recognized. Spellchecking via Hunspell
works fine in the MacOS version of RC4.