In my thesis I sometimes write things such as  y<door(x)  in math mode where  door
needs to be in normal font.
To write this I

  1) go into math mode,  and type y<
  2) go into math mode again to toggle the text to normal format and type  door
  3) go into math mode again to toggle the text to math format
  4) type the rest of my equation.
  5) exit math mode.

This works find unless I use  door(x) in a subscript or superscript.  In the latter
cases the
word door is subscripted or superscripted ok but is not shrunk in size like it should
be.
Furthermore, lyx won't let me shrink it manually.

Is there an easier way to do this than using tex to define door like, say,  sin or cos.
I don't know how to do this in tex but I can look it up.
I do hope there is an easier way.

Thanks

Ralph Boland