I do PDF bookmarks, hyper-refs, etc. using normal LaTeX + dvips as
well as pdftex.

It works.

The components you have listed should be enough:

> [...]
> "pdfTeX (Web2C 7.3.1) 3.14159-0.13d" which is part of RedHat's tetex
> 1.0.7-15 RPM.  I take it that is dated?

No, that's good enough.

The following code in your LaTeX preamble does most of what I want (with
LaTeX -> dvips ->ps2pdf). You can read the hyperref docs for more info.

%
% This is for good PDF production (with hyperlinks)
%
\usepackage[ps2pdf,pdftitle={Document Title Here},%
urlcolor=blue,linktocpage,letterpaper,colorlinks=true]{hyperref}

> Ack, maybe it's time I left my "LyX crutch" and move to full-up TeX
> editing (via GViM or other syntax highlighting editor).

No, I don't think so. ;-) I have the full power of LaTeX *plus* the
convenience of WYSIWYM editing in LyX.

> I always
> figured I could in-line TeX tags with LyX,

Yes, you can. Just mark it as TeX (or use the LaTeX paragraph format).

--
Kayvan A. Sylvan          | Proud husband of       | Father to my kids:
Sylvan Associates, Inc.   | Laura Isabella Sylvan  | Katherine Yelena (8/8/89)