Okay.  Either I have stumped the users or my mail was
acting weird since no one has replied yet (this list
replies so fast that maybe I am spoiled?).  Anyways, I
have been putzing around this afternoon with this and
this is what I have found.

I don't like the MarginNotes as an option.  What I
want is something that will hold a bit more text
without being too many rows high.

Trying to do a FigureFlt to wrap text around a Figure
(my Figure would be my "FloatNote" text in the grey
shading) is not what I want either for a couple of
reasons.  One, it is not controllable as to which side
of the paper it falls on.  According to the Extended
Features Guide, page 15 "The figure will always be on
teh "outside" of a page; on the left side of an even
numbered page, on the right side for an odd numbered
page."

While I understand the logic for this (it is thinking
of book bindings) I want to make a paper where these
"FloatNotes" would be either one side or the other, my
preference is in the right margin.

Second, I want something visually more promounced than
something set in the documents margin or totally out
of it.  Something that would "straddle" the text
margins and jut out into the right margin is optimal.
I am willing to have the entire documents right margin
be larger whether there are "FloatNotes" on the page
or not.

While this serious newbie is willing to try to hack
her way to a solution, I am not progressing very well.
 I have the book _LaTeX Line by Line_ by Diller and I
am awaiting my copy of the Lamport _LaTeX-A Document
Preparation System: User's Guide and Reference
Manual_, I am still going to have to work hard at
this.

Any suggestions, pointers, solutions, tips?  Any would
be most kindly welcomed.  Thanks in advance.

Michelle