On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 11:20:52PM -0300, Rodrigo Esteves de Lima-Lopes wrote:
> if you write n your preamble:
>
> \usepackage{times}
>
> it will deliver a much more readble pdf, but you might get a
> 'windows-like' font-effect.

Don't put it in the preamble, all you need to do is put it in the
document layout.
Menu: Layout -> Document
gives a window.
Pick the Document tab.
Select, from the Fonts: menu
times
or
pslatex

and your default fonts will be the ones most portable for PDF -- Times,
Helvetica, Courier.

If you want something which will produce decent PDF, the trick is, you
have to be using Postscript Type1 fonts, *not* TeX Metafont.   If you
use Metafont, when the document is translated into PDF, the font will
become an ugly bitmapped fonts, wheras (if you have a version of
Ghostscript higher than 5.50) with a Type1 font, a non-default font will
be translated into an outline, which looks nicer than a bitmap.

Kathryn Andersen
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
   Travis:  You wouldn't do it.
    Blake:  What have I got to lose?
   Travis:  It's not a pleasant death, Blake.
    Blake:  So I gather, but it would have its compensations: I'd share
            it with you -- and the Supreme Commander. Are you quite
            sure I wouldn't do it?
                 (Blake's 7: Project Avalon [A9])
--
 _--_|\     | Kathryn Andersen          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
/      \    |   <http://www.katspace.com>