On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 02:08:41AM -0400, Piotr R. Sidorowicz wrote:
> Well, I took a shot at vmware recently, so here are my observations:
>
> 1. vmware install is problem free
> 2. I installed win95
> 3. couldn't get networking/printing to work in the emulated windoze.
> 4. emulated screen rez is limited to 800x600
> 5. vmware requires massive horsepower from the host machine
>    (my machine is a pentium3/500MHz/256MB) and the Win emulation felt like
>    a 386. Hence forget running Word or anything equally resource wasteful.
>
> Conclusion: vmware is at best a good academic exercise, and for the time
> being a waste of your valuable time.

Before becomming completely OT, just my comment. I use NT as the guest
OS. Measuring showed a loss of about 15% for my apps (not using Word
etc.). I use vmware even on a P3/366MHz/192MB laptop sucessfully,
compared to a native NT intall on the same machine it feels a little
bit slower, but not that much. I can set up virtual resolution
greater than 1280x1024 ...

We can continue the discussion of VMware per pers email...

Greetings
Frank