Thanks to all of you for your help, including Guenter Milde, who mailed me
offlist with an explanation of labels in LyX.

Anyway, the Warning environment automatically prints the word WARNING on top,
suitably centered, then prints the text of the warning with reduced margins.
In the final product it has a line above the word WARNING and below the last
word of the warning text. I couldn't figure out how to do the lines in LyX
but that's not a big issue anyway.

The only bad part is it's ragged right in the finished product -- but that's
not that terrible either.

So here it is:

Style Warning
  LatexType             Environment
  LatexName             warning_l

  LabelType             Centered_Top_Environment
  LabelString           "WARNING"
  AlignPossible         Left
  LeftMargin            "MMMMM"
  RightMargin           "MMMMM"