On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 07:26:57PM +0200, Giovanni Tummarello wrote:
> I have tried alternative approaches.. SPSS offers me to save the table in "text
> mode" which is simply a ASCII formatted table assuming font is NON
> proportional. Needless to say LYX's "no double space, no tab, no double enter"
> basic rule is preventing this to work in any way. I have tried to use "LYX
> CODE" style which i understood as being more liberal about this but the results
> are still awkward.

You have two options to include the tables verbatim:
1) Select Insert->include file. In the dilalog enter the file name, select
the "Verbatim" button, and press OK.
2) Change the layout to lyx code. Then, select the
Insert->Insert_File->Ascii_as_line menu, and select the file in the dialog.

You can also convert the ascii files to lyx tables, if the field are separated
by tabs (if they are not, it is not hard to convert the file to this format).
The following works in the Unix version:
Copy the contents of the file to the clipboard.
Then in lyx, create a table of the appropriate size, and paste the clipboard.

Alternatively, you can use csv2lyx:
http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg11775.html

> P.S what about that !H in the float placement dialog that doesent really work??
> if i say i REALLY mean it (using the ! )i would expect the whole thing to work
> so that if i write In this table :
> TABLE FLOAT
> I can se that etc.. it would work.
> Then why need a float since i want it RIGHT THERE? easy.. a float seem to be
> the only way to number a table so that i can later refer to it as table X.

Enter H (capital H) in the float placement dialog, and put
\usepackage{float} in the preamble.