Christian Schanz wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm writing a report (koma-script) and want to replace the word "Abbildung"
> under Figures with "Abb.".
> Inserting
> \renewcommand{\figurename}{Abb.}
> in the preamble did not work.
>
> Another question:
> Is there a possibility to automatically insert the number of Figures, Tables,
> etc. on the Titlepage?
>
> Thank you
>  Christian

 From the UK TeX FAQ:

Whenever a new language is selected, babel resets all the names to the
settings for that language. In particular, babel selects the document's
main language when \begin{document} is executed, which immediately
destroys any changes to these symbolic names made in the prologue of a
document that uses babel.

Therefore, babel defines a command to enable users to change the
definitions of the symbolic names, on a per-language basis:
\addto\captions<language> is the thing (<language> being the language
option you gave to babel in the first place). For example:

\addto\captionsgerman{%
   \renewcommand{\figurename}%
     {Abb.}%
}