Guido,

You can do all of these things and many more by using the package natbib.

If you haven't got it installed, install it.
At the end of your document where you have your BibTeX Generated References,
use the style plainnat . The plainnat.bst file comes with natbib and can be
used to replace the plain.bst file.

Then to use the package you just put in your preamble
\usepackage{natbib}

The only complication is that you can't utilise all the features of natbib by
just using Insert --> Citation Reference. (I believe that in LyX 1.2 more
natbib features are supported in this way)

If you do Insert --> Citation Reference, you will get
Jones et al. (1990)  (I believe this is one of the options you wanted)

If you would like some other options you need to use a bit of ERT. At the
point in your document where you would like your reference, instead of doing
Insert --> Citation Reference, type in ERT;

\citet {jon90}   (where jon90 is they key in your references database) and
you will get the same style as above

\citep{jon90} and you will get " (Jones et al.,1990) "

\citealt{jon90} and you will get  " Jones et al. 1990 " (the second option
you wanted )

Natbib is very powerful, and there are hundreds of options. I suggest
printing out the documentation that comes with natbib, and they are fairly
easy to work out from that.

I hope this has been of some help

Nick

--
Nick Burgan

Active Noise and Vibration Control Group
Department of Mechanical Engineering
University of Adelaide
SA 5005
AUSTRALIA