Why is it so difficult to place figures and tables in a sensible location?

I have placed the tables and figures exactly where I want them to be. LyX (or
Latex) puts them in ridiculous locations. It places tables very far from
where they are inserted. It often puts some figures in different sections.

I need to have a number figures and tables like this:

TEXT 1
Fig 1
Fig 2
Fig 3
Fig 4
TEXT 2
Table 1
Table 2
TEXT 3
Appendix
TEXT 4
TABLE (not floated)
TABLE (not floated)

How it comes out:

TEXT 1
Fig 1
TEXT 2
Fig 2
Fig 3
Fig 4
Table 1
Table 2
TEXT 3
Appendix
TEXT 4
TABLE (not floated)
TABLE (not floated)

I really don't want the tables and figures to float. But unless I place them
in floats, I can't get captions. Is there some way to get captions without
floats?

I've tried using "!h" in the layout|document|extra entry but it does not
good. Placement is completely  unpredictable as I add or change the text.

Rick Bilonick