Mr Masters,

I currently use LyX on a debian potato system, without too many problems.
Have you installed all the debian tetex packages? This includes
tetex-extra, and tetex-nonfree, as well as tetex-base. If that doesn't
help, telling people which packages are coming up as missing might give us
a clue.

Kindest regards,
Rod

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, cmasters wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I've inserted further comments in response to your response and to my
> original post:
>
> On 10-12-01, Herbert Voss wrote:
> >

> > cmasters wrote:
> >
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > Brand new convert to Lyx here :-) I must say that I love the ease of getting
> > > the job done, but I've run into a few sangs. I'd appreciate any bones that
> > > can be thrown my way.
> > >
> > > I am running Debian, and installed Latex/Tetex and Lyx through the standard
> > > 'apt-get' method. All works well, ~except~ when I attempt to change the
> > > pre-defined variables for line spacing (single, 1/2 double) and or font type
> > > in any document that I create.
> > >

> I imagine that ~control~ of line spacing and font type are standard
> features. Am I wrong in this?
>
> > > I tend to use the "new from template" feature, and have found that changing
> > > these values through the menus, results in a slew of errors when it comes
> > > time to view the dvi output. In almost ~all~ cases, the error is to the
> > > effect that I am missing a required ".sty" file (which I assume is a style
> > > definition).
> > >
> > > Questions:
> > >
> > > 1. Are these not automatically included in the Latex / Lyx distributions
> > > released for my system?
> >

> > if they are supported by lyx than they are included automatically,
> > otherwise not.
> >
> I beg to differ, but they are most ~definitely not~ included on my system.
> The point of my question was to determine whether these ".sty" files were
> part of the standard lyx / latex installation. Your answer is less than
> halpful.
>
> > > 2. If they are not included, how do I go about either getting them and/or
> > > writing the necessary style def files?
> >

> > write in lyayout->preamble-> \usepackage{the packagename}
> >
> Again, thank you for the answer, but I did indicate ~new~ Lyx convert at the
> beginning of my original message. The above means very little to me. Is that
> a latex command, something that needs to be entered via command line, or
> perhaps an additional command while running Lyx?
>

> > Herbert
> >
> Thank you, I don't mean to offend, but Lyx extolls itself (and I have found
> it) to be software that formats while allowing the user to concentrate on
> content. However, there ~must~ be a method to change the default format
> variables when the consumer requires it. Hence my questions.
>
> C. Masters

rpinna    |"Sometime in the next 10,000 years
@civil.uwa|   A comet's going to wipe out all trace of man, I'm
.edu.au   |banking on it coming before my end of year exams." TISM 1995