I am real new to Lyx. My interest is in its potential for writing Linux
documentation. specifically Howto's and man pages.

I've gotten it installed. Read through the tutorial and spent a bunch of
time using google trying to figure some things out.

Here is what I think you need to do to use it to write a man page.

1) Start Lyx. Open using a template, I select Linuxdoc.

I get a warning message:

LyX: Unknown token `\cursor'. Inserting as text. [around line 45 of file
/usr/share/lyx/templates/linuxdoctemplate.lyx]

2) I try a few different templates. Some do the above error, some don't.

3) I understand that if the Linuxdoc template would work, (I believe it did
yesterday) then I could create a man page, export it as a .DVI then use
some program in SGML-tools to convert this to the man page format which is
groff or nroff or troff that is gzipped. Anyway, that part is pretty
unclear to me so far.

Questions.

1) How do I fix that startup problem?

2) What template should I be using. I believe this is called a text class.
Correct?

3) what successive steps to I do to create the actual man page?

4) Apparently, man pages must be rendered (formatted) for display. What is
actually happening. I always just do this to print one "man -t manpage |
lpr" which apparently sends the manpage through the troff filter to
generate postscript for the printer.

5) How does one generate a template file?

Thanks

  * L I N U X * .~.  Paul A. Franz, P.E.      Engineering Software
   The Choice   /V\  Blackdog Software        Network Consulting and Sales
   of the GNU  /( )\ <http://blackdog.bellevue.wa.us/> Custom Web Services
   Generation  ^^-^^ (425) 641-8202, (425) 641-1773 FAX    Internet FAX