I am a LyX novice but in 1.1.6 versions, it appeared that a practice
was to specify graphic files without mentioning suffix so that if
one preconverted their files to the various formats that the
underlying tools needed, every thing would use it's preferred
extension.

In 1.2pre4 just compiled, it appears that image specifications that
are without the suffix (say .eps) don't get discovered by LyX for
rendering.  In other words, specifying the image "IMG" expecting LyX
to pick up IMG.eps and latex2html to pickup IMG.jpg .  Is this
something that is no longer best (or even allowed) practice and
eliminated or ???  I am not fighting for the feature by the way, just
reporting a difference and asking intent.  I can see both sides of the
choice.

I do see hints in NEWS that perhaps less of this practice is necessary
due to additional image support in LyX. If this is "by design" you
might wish to mention it in the UPGRADING file.

Dave
--
David G. Green                                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
UAB Electrical and Computer Engineering             Birmingham, AL USA