I have tried.

At first it did't help until I modified my custom latex->dvi conversion script.
I added aditional latex run before bibtex run, then it worked. But the result
is different:  with 1.16, I have both numerical key and the bibtex key shown in
the bibliography section, but only the numerical key shown with 1.20.  All the
citation in the text are the same for both versions. This is quite strange
since in both cases, I use only the drftcite package.

My latex-dvi script looks like this now:

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/latex $1
/usr/bin/latex $1
/home/max/bin/bibtex $1